A free, confidential and non-judgmental service
JCUSA employs Student Advocates who provide free information, advocacy and referral on a range of issues relating to students. We are here to work with you to make life at Uni that little bit easier. All support is provided in a confidential, friendly environment.

Financial Assistance

JCU encourages students to apply for scholarships and grants that can award a sum of money to assist you with your studies. You've got nothing to lose, so see what you're eligible for.

Legal Advice

If you require information about community legal services, the Student Advocacy and Welfare Officers may be able to assist you with local services available in your area.

You may also be able to get help by visiting the Legal Aid Queensland Website.

Alternatively you can contact Legal Aid Queensland for free legal advice on 1300 65 11 88 (free call).

Housing and Accommodation

  • Has your Bond been lodged by the RTA? Do you have a receipt for this?
  • Are you on a general Tenancy Agreement, Periodic Agreement, and Fixed Term Agreement?
  • Are you being given the right amount of time for the Landlord to enter the property?

If you are not sure about any of these questions and you are renting here in Queensland contact a Student Advocacy and Welfare Officer for assistance.

Information is also available from the Residential Tenancy Authority (RTA) Queensland website.

Tenants' Union of Queensland

The Tenants Union is a state-wide community organisation that provides services for residential tenants in Queensland and represents their interests. The Union aims to improve and protect the rights of all Queensland tenants, including Caravan Park and boarding house residents. Contact 1300 744 263 (free call).

Sanitary Products 

We offer emergency sanitary products to those who need assistance. Please see us at the JCUSA office. 


The Student Association can provide information and assistance about Centrelink payments. Or to assist you to question and/or appeal decisions relating to your payments.

** PLEASE NOTE: This information is intended as a guide only. Reliable and up to date information can be obtained by contacting an Advocacy Officer **

More links in this section


The James Cook University Student Association works closely with the James Cook University. Please visit to find out more.