Update from JCUSA as of 25/03/20:
To our very patient and ever-supportive JCUSA Sport and Recreation family
We just wanted to thank you all for your patience in this very fast-changing and sometimes unsettling time. At this stage, a majority of our Sporting Programs have been put on hold/postponed and we have put in place some measures to make sure our students and members are taken care of as best we can.
In light of the restrictions that have been put on sport and fitness facilities, we have had to come up with alternative ways to stay connected and active in this time of rapid change.
There have been multiple changes to our programs. See the complete list below.
We will be holding multiple rec sessions throughout this period that can be accessed in various parts of the world via your mobile device.
From 11am-2pm tomorrow will be running Mario Kart Tour races which can be downloaded for free. Details on how to download this will be made in tonight from 7pm on the JCUSA Sport Townsville Facebook Group Page.
For Interfaculty Sport, Fisher Shield and Gunyarra Cup, we are going to be holding eSport competitions. At this stage, Interfaculty Sport will be Soccer meanwhile Fisher Shield will be basketball. Details on this will be made in the near future.
Group Fitness Classes – Live Streamed
In collaboration with JCUSA Fitness (Townsville and Cairns), we will be live streaming group fitness classes on Social Media. The first class will occur from 5:30pm this afternoon on all of our social media channels.
These will continue daily with a range of activities including Zumba, HIIT, Yoga and Circuits. All these can be done at home and require little to no equipment.
If you have registered for Social Sport this Semester in either Cairns or Townsville the following will apply:
- Both Townsville and Cairns registered participants will have a portion of their Social Sport registration rolled over to the next available Social Sport Competition. g. If 8 out of 10 weeks of Social Sport are not played, 8 weeks worth of Social Sport will be rolled over to the next Social Sport Competition.
- Unfortunately we do know when we will be able to start Social Sport again but any member who is unable to redeem this amount for the next Social Sport competition (e.g. Moving from Townsville, On an Exchange Program), you may apply to request a partial refund for an unused portion of your Social Sport Registration. This also applies to any forfeit fees that the participant paid on behalf of the team (note this is for Townsville Only).
To apply, complete an application for refund form. This form is available to download on our website which you will find at the bottom of this page. Please electronically fill out the form, provide a reason a refund is needed and email this form to [email protected].
At this stage, the only competition some students had paid for was for the Water Polo Competition.
If you had registered for the Fisher Shield Water Polo competition, the following will apply:
- Students will receive a refund in full as this payment was done through Fusesport, JCUSA Sport will issue the refund in the coming days.
Water Polo along with basketball and rugby have been postponed until further notice. We do aim to go ahead with these sports in a reduced competition this semester however that is as long as the restrictions on Social Distancing are lifted, the National Sporting Organisations approve clubs, associations and competitions to resume the sport and we are able to obtain officials for these competition (at the planned competition dates). We will be discussing this with the Sports Representatives for each college.
- The remaining Touch Football and Table Tennis Competitions has been put on hold. We do hope that the rest of the competition will finish this semester however that is as long as the restrictions on Social Distancing are lifted.
- Interfaculty Soccer Competition does not begin until May however so we are still planning on having this competition on the schedule date.
- All sports and events for this competition are postponed until further notice. We are however ensuring that we are including all of our students into these new programs regardless of their campus or working remotely.
- The UniSport League of Legends Competition will go ahead as planned as this event is scheduled to occur online. The JCU team has been finalised with the announcement of the side to occur later this week. The team will begin the competition on April 18.
- We are still awaiting confirmation on whether or not the Indigenous Nationals Competition will occur in Newcastle this year (event is scheduled for occur from June 28 to July 3). UniSport Australia is currently liaising closely with the Wollotuka Institute at the University of Newcastle about the status of this event. It is expected that an announcement will be made over the next couple of days.
- UniSport Nationals Div 1 and Div 2 will still go ahead as planned in September/October in Perth. UniSport made the decision last year to merge the Div 1 and Div 2 competitions to occur at once (hence no competition in July). Due to the location and budgets, JCUSA Sport will only be sending a small number to compete at the competition.
We only had 1 more course left to complete at both the Townsville and Cairns Campuses. The following will apply to those students who still need to complete their First Aid/CPR Courses who have already paid for a course:
- All refunds will be issued to those who had a scheduled booking. JCUSA Sport will issue the refund in the coming days.
The pool is closed as of today.
- All fixed term memberships (1 semester, 2 semester and 10 visit pass) have been suspended. The time that we are closed (hopefully not too long) will be credited to the end of your existing membership term, and when we re-open your membership will resume.
- Unfortunately we do not know when we will be able to open again, but any member who will not be able to redeem their suspended membership when we resume, you may apply to request a partial refund for an unused portion of your membership.
- To apply, complete an application for refund form. This form is available to download on our website which you will find at the bottom of this page. Please electronically fill the form, provide a reason a refund is needed and email this form to [email protected]
The following facilities will remain open from 6am-6pm:
- JCU Cricket Oval
- Mutlipurpose Courts
- Tennis Courts
- Volleyball Courts
Bootcamps will continue (through Enhanced Health and Fitness) however these will be limited to 10 patrons only per session.
JCU Security will monitor the Social Distancing on all these facilities. We will continue to have these facilities open unless further restrictions are implemented.
Please ensure that you continue to follow the rules around social distancing and hygiene.
We are so saddened that a majority of our sporting programs are unable to go ahead for now, but it is in the best interest of our members and staff and it will remain as is until it is safe for everyone to return to doing what they love.
We do ask for your patience and continued loyalty at this time. We are a not-for profit organization that is run by students, for students and our mission is to provide essential services like access to fitness for our JCU community and put our students’ welfare over anything else. We would love to have the opportunity to continue providing our students, staff and other members with our services for a long time to come.
We will provide updates and info via our social media pages including our Facebook Page, Instagram and website as soon as any new info comes to light.
If you have any questions or concerns, please email [email protected] and we will endeavor to do our best to get back to you as soon as humanly possible in this hectic time.
Please stay safe, look after yourself and your loved ones and we’ll be back up and running before you know it!
JCUSA Sport & Recreation